Golden Nugget Review
The Golden Nugget is a casino brand that owns and operates five casinos across the United States. SBTech, a global sportsbook provider, powers Golden Nugget.
|US Regulated Sportsbook (legal)||Yes|
|Online Availability - Indiana||No|
|Online Availability - Iowa||No|
|Online Availability - New Jersey||Yes|
|Online Availability - Nevada||No|
|Online Availability - Pennsylvania||No|
|Online Availability - Rhode Island||No|
|Online Availability - West Virginia||No|
|Offshore Sportsbook (illegal)||No|
Golden Nugget is best suited for individuals who enjoy playing online slots, as well as betting on sports. Golden Nugget has put considerable effort into pairing an impressive number of slots and table games with a slightly above average amount of sports and alternative totals and spreads.
- Excellent banking options.
- Above average selection of sports, bets, and live betting.
- The mobile app is comparatively slow to other New Jersey sportsbooks. The app has a strong focus on casino slots which can be annoying if you primarily bet on sports.
Golden Nugget covers more than the basics for bets offered, but trails industry leaders in terms of exciting prop bets. Golden Nugget offers the following bet types: parlay, pleaser, round robin, future, prop, moneyline, total (over/under), and spread.
- 80-100+ bets are offered for popular leagues, such as the NHL or English Premier League. For NHL games bets include moneyline/puckline/total, exact score, total goals, winning margin, puckline/total for each period, total goals for each period, and over/under shots on goal for a select few players.
- Golden Nugget offers daily odds boosts in the form of their “Golden Lines.” Golden Lines can be compared to items on sale at the grocery store, meaning you get more bang for your buck.
- Although Golden Nugget offers quite a few bets, the bets are limited in variety and trail leaders such as DraftKings or SugarHouse.
Banking Options and Fees
The Golden Nugget offers an extensive selection of banking options to choose from. There are nine different deposit options and eight different withdrawal options, covering the most popular banking options. Minimum deposits for most methods are between $10-$20. Maximum betting limits vary for each sport and bettor. Golden Nugget offers the most versatile selection of banking options for US bettors in New Jersey.
- Deposits can be made via eCheck (ACH), Play+ Prepaid Card, Debit/Credit Card (Visa/Mastercard), check, PayPal, PayNearMe, NETELLER, Online Banking Transfer, and cash at the Golden Nugget casino cage.
- Withdrawals can be made via a Play+ Prepaid Card, Online Banking Transfer, eCheck(ACH), check, PayPal, NETELLER, and cash at the Golden Nugget casino cage.
- Golden Nugget does not charge deposit/withdrawal fees.
|Total Deposit Methods||9|
|No Debit/Credit Card Deposit Fees||Yes|
|Deposit Min/Max - Debit/Credit Card||$20/$25,000|
|Total Withdrawal Methods||8|
|Check Payout Speed is < 10 days||Yes|
|No Withdrawal Fees - Check||No|
|Withdrawal Min/Max - Check||$10/N/A|
The Golden Nugget currently offers 16 sports, a decent start for a new sportsbook. An array of international soccer leagues are offered, as well as less popular international basketball and hockey leagues. Due to Golden Nugget’s affiliation with the NBA Houston Rocket (the owner owns both), New Jersey regulations prohibit NBA betting. If betting on the NBA is a necessity to you, I recommend using DraftKings instead.
|Total Sports Offered||16|
|Aussie Rules (AFL)||Yes|
Golden Nugget was established after our 2018 odds testing concluded, so I was not able to grab the hundreds of data points necessary to compare it amongst other sportsbooks. Odds will be factored into the score for next years review.
Golden Nugget offers a solid live betting experience that will meet the needs of most bettors.
- The match tracker feature is offered for certain sports. The match tracker has a live clock, displays the score by quarter, and even shows which team is attacking in real time. While the match tracker is the same across other sites such as FanDuel and 888, it enhances any live betting experience.
- The live betting menu allows you to bet on one game while viewing the live score and clock of other games at the same time.
- Golden Nugget offers fewer instant bets than other sportsbooks, meaning in-game bets that offer odds on the next drive or the next at-bat.
Golden Nugget offers phone, email, and 24/7 live chat support. The support I got was always quick and consistent. Employees did need to ask others for information or to verify something, which was understandable considering the sportsbook launched within the last week.
The Golden Nugget app is available for Android and iOS devices.
- There is a sports or casino button at the top of the mobile app, which makes switching between the two seamless.
- The overall layout and navigation feel clunky and slow at times.
Golden Nugget is a new sportsbook, so there are no fraudulent reports or legal trouble. If anything changes I will update this portion of the review accordingly.
- Golden Nugget uses SB Tech for its software, which is a trusted and established provider.
- Golden Nugget has minimal experience as a sportsbook.
Golden Nugget offers quite a few promotions, ranging from Valentine’s day promotions to parlay boosts, to games of the week. For example, the parlay boost adds a percentage boost to your winnings based on how many selections you make (as long as each leg has odds of -145 or greater. With this promotion, if you bet and win a 4-leg parlay, Golden Nugget will pay you an extra 4% on your winnings.
Golden Nugget also offers a Golden Rewards Player Club which earns players points for every dollar wagered on the casino and sportsbook. This program is similar to most casinos that offer comps.
Golden Nugget is a decent sportsbook across the board. The sportsbook excels at banking, offering more options than a majority of New Jersey sportsbook. If you’re interested in making basic sports bets, as well as playing online slots, then Golden Nugget is a viable option. If you are not a fan of online slots or desire more player props bets, there are other options such as 888Sport, DraftKings, or PointsBet.
For the BettingBuck.com annual best online sportsbooks review published in February 2019, a total of 2,300 data points were collected over six months and used to score sportsbooks. Additionally, odds data was collected for each sportsbook on over 1,400 bets to give each sportsbook a comparative odds ranking.
Learn more about how we test.
About the author: Joey Shadeck Joey Shadeck is a research analyst for BettingBuck.com. He has been a sports fan all his life, football and basketball being his two favorites to watch. Joey remembers betting his mom that the Green Bay Packers would beat the Detroit Lions as early as elementary school. He has 5 years of online betting experience with hundreds of bets placed during that time.