Are you a Tennessee resident who wants to bet on the Tennessee Titans, Memphis Grizzlies, or Nashville Predators winning their next game? If so, you will need an online sports betting account.
Choosing a sports betting app, also known as an online sportsbook, is an important decision to make as a sports bettor. Sports betting is now legal in Tennessee exclusively online. Residents of the Volunteer State can only bet on sports on their mobile phones or computers.
This guide will break down the best Tennessee sports betting sites by comparing the total number of sports and bets offered, odds, live betting features, mobile apps, educational resources, ease of use, as well as current bonuses and promotions.
Best Online Sports Betting Apps in Tennessee 2021
- DraftKings Sportsbook – Best Overall for Beginners
- FanDuel – Best Mobile App
- BetMGM – Best for M Life Members
- Tennesse Action 24/7 – Best Local Sportsbook
Best Overall for Beginners
DraftKings is the complete package for both new and experienced sports bettors and daily fantasy sports players. While the live betting, education, and mobile app are all great, I found the unique bets and pre-game statistics DraftKings offers to be the best in Tennessee. Read full review
Best Mobile App
Like its closest competitors, FanDuel is one of the most well-rounded sports betting options available. The high-quality live betting, bets offered, and the odds are worth emphasizing for both new and experienced bettors. FanDuel is also one of two sportsbooks available that offers daily fantasy sports. Read full review
Best Local Sportsbook Tennessee Action 24/7 is a local sportsbook, only available in Tennessee. While the sportsbook does not offer as many promotions, features, or bets as competitors, customers can count on someone from Tennessee to answer their customer support calls.
Best Betting Odds in Tennessee
To determine which Tennessee sports betting sites offer the best odds, I recorded and analyzed data from hundreds of games for spread, moneyline, and total bets. The sportsbooks that provide the best odds for each sport are listed below. Odds are given the following rankings: best, above average, average, below average, and worst.
|Feature||DraftKings Sportsbook||FanDuel Sportsbook||BetMGM|
|NFL Spread||Below Average||Average||Below Average|
|NBA Moneyline||Above Average||Worst||Average|
|NBA Spread||Below Average||Average||Below Average|
|MLB Spread||Average||Above Average||Below Average|
|NHL Moneyline||Best||Worst||Above Average|
|NHL Spread||Below average||Above Average||Average|
|Soccer Moneyline||Above Average||Above Average||Below Average|
|NCAAF Moneyline||Worst||Below Average||Below Average|
|NCAAF Spread||Below Average||Average||Below Average|
Here is a comparison of deposit options amongst top TN sports betting apps.
|Feature||DraftKings Sportsbook||FanDuel Sportsbook||BetMGM|
|Total Deposit Methods||8||7||8|
|No Debit/Credit Card Deposit Fees||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Deposit Min/Max - Debit/Credit Card||$5/$2,000||$10/Varies||$0/Varies|
|Deposit Min/Max - PayPal||$5/$2,000||$10/Varies||$10|
Here is a comparison of withdrawal options amongst top TN sports betting apps.
|Feature||DraftKings Sportsbook||FanDuel Sportsbook||BetMGM|
|Minimum Withdrawal||$1 - $15||None Listed||$10|
|Total Withdrawal Methods||4||5||6|
|No Withdrawal Fees - Check||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Check Payout Speed is < 10 days||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Withdrawal Min/Max - Check||$5/Varies||$10/Varies||$0/Varies|
|Withdrawal Min/Max - PayPal||$5/Varies||$10/Varies||$10|
Tennessee Sports Betting Timeline
Here is a short timeline of how Tennesssee sports betting became a reality:
- 2018 - Representative Rick Staples introduced a bill to legalize sports betting in Tennessee.
- 2019 - House Bill 1 passed the House and the Senate. Governor Bill Lee let the bill turn into law without signing it.
- 2020 - Tennessee finalized sports betting regulations in April of 2020. Some of these regulations, which include a mandatory 10% hold for operators, made entering the state less attractive for sports betting operators. On November 1, 2020, sports betting launched with four operators: DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, and Tennessee Action 24/7.
Best Tennessee Sportsbooks Summary
Below is a summary of the best online sportsbooks currently available in Tennessee.
|Tennessee Online Sportsbook||Best For||Live Betting||Bets Offered||Overall Rating|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Best Overall||5||5||5 Stars|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||Best Mobile App||5||4.5||5 Stars|
|BetMGM||Best for M Life Reward Members||4.5||3.5||3.5 Stars|
|Tennessee Action 24/7||Best Local Sportsbook||Not Rated||Not Rated||Not Rated|
DraftKings is the complete package for both new and experienced sports bettors and daily fantasy sports players. While the live betting, education, and mobile app are all great, I found the unique bets and pre-game statistics DraftKings offers to be the best in the state. Read full review
Minimum Deposit: $5
Who Choose DraftKings Sportsbook:
- Great for beginners. Sports betting beginners will benefit from the education provided by DraftKings. Educational videos and articles explain how to bet and what different bet types are available. Sport-specific guides are also available, explaining common strategies for having the best chances of success.
- Unique bets and contests. The variety of sports and bets offered, the outstanding education and statistics, and the excellent live betting experience combines to make DraftKings one heck of a sportsbook. I also found DraftKings to offer one of the largest selections of unique bet types and contests.
- Bonuses: Promotions change throughout the year, but typically DraftKings offers risk-free bets up to $1,000 for new bettors, deposit matches, or other various offers depending on the time of year. Keep in mind there are typically rollover requirements attached to each bonus.
Like its closest competitors, FanDuel is one of the most well-rounded sports betting options available. The high-quality live betting, bets offered, and the odds are worth emphasizing for both new and experienced bettors. FanDuel is also one of two sportsbooks available that offer daily fantasy sports. Read full review
Minimum Deposit: $10
Why Choose FanDuel Sportsbook:
- Excellent mobile app. Focused on usability, I found the FanDuel Sportsbook app to be one the easiest to use and best designed apps overall.
- Great for bettors. The high-quality of live betting, bets offered, and the odds are all worth emphasizing for both new and experienced bettors. I was left impressed.
- Bonuses: Promotions change throughout the year, but typically FanDuel offers a risk-free bet up to $1,000, as well as several other smaller seasonal offerings. Keep in mind there are typically rollover requirements attached to each bonus.
BetMGM provides residents with various banking options, a decent selection of sports and bets, and an array of seasonal promotions. Users interested in online slots and online poker in eligible states should check out BetMGM, as it is one of the only sportsbooks to offer both types of gambling. Read full review
Minimum Deposit: $10
Who should consider BetMGM?
- Ability to edit open bets. BetMGM is one of the only sportsbooks that allows bettors to modify an open wager. For example, if you bet on the Chiefs to win the Chiefs-Saints game, you can add a bet on the over/under at the end of the first quarter with live odds. This type of flexibility is a cool feature for those who enjoy live betting.
- Bonuses: Promotions change throughout the year, but typically BetMGM offers a risk-free bet up to $500, as well as an array of ongoing seasonal promotions. Keep in mind there are typically rollover requirements attached to each bonus.
Tennessee Action 24/7
Tennessee Action 24/7 is a local sportsbook, only available in Tennessee. While the sportsbook does not offer as many promotions, features, or bets as competitors, customers can count on someone from Tennessee to answer their customer support calls.
Who should consider Tennessee Action 24/7?
- Support Local Business. Tennessee Action offers fewer bests, promotions, and features than all other sportsbooks available in Tennessee. There are two distinct benefits of Tennessee Action. First, the sportsbook is run by Tennesseans. It offers phone support from Tennessee residents. Second, you can deposit cash for your online account at a variety of locations throughout Tennessee.
- Bonuses: Promotions change throughout the year, but typically Tennessee Action offers an initial deposit match up to $100 for new bettors. Tennessee Action can not compete with the vast array of ongoing seasonal promotions offered by DraftKings, FanDuel, and BetMGM.
How do I bet online in Tennessee?
- 1. Create an account. Every online sportsbook has an online website as well as a mobile app. To create an account on the app or website, you will need your name, address, phone number, and email address. Some sportsbooks might ask for more information such as social security number; which is normal.
- 2. Fund the account. Deposit money into your newly created account. In Tennessee, standard banking methods include credit/debit cards, PayPal, ACH (e-check), Bank Transfers, Play+ Cards, and PayNearMe.
- 3. Add your bet(s) to the betslip. To do this, click on the bet that you want to place.
- 4. Select the wager amount. Enter the amount of money you want to wager. The bet slip will display your total wager and potential payout. Keep in mind, the potential payout includes the money that you are wagering. For example, in the screenshot below, you are betting $10 to win $8.80. Thus, the potential payout is $18.80 (total wager $10 + potential winnings $8.80).
- 5. Finalize the bet. Place your bet and set an alarm for game time!
What types of gambling are legal in Tennessee?
Tennessee has a limited selection of online gaming products to choose from. Here are the forms of gambling legal in Tennessee:
- Online Sports Betting - Legal (launch - November of 2020)
- Online Horse Betting - Legal
- Daily Fantasy Sports - Legal
- iGaming (online slots) - Not Legal
- Online Poker - Not Legal
- Online Lottery - Not Legal
- Offshore Sportsbooks - Not Legal
Popular Tennessee Sports Teams
Tennessee is fortunate enough to have four professional sports teams, and college powerhouses such as Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Memphis. Residents of Tennessee can bet on all professional and collegiate teams, which includes the following professional teams:
- Memphis Grizzlies (NBA) Team Website // Schedule // News
- Nashville Predators (NHL) Team Website // Schedule // News
- Nashville SC (MLS) Team Website // Schedule // News
- Tennessee Titans (NFL) Team Website // Schedule // News
What sports leagues can I bet on in Tennessee?
Almost all domestic and international leagues are available to bet on with Tennessee sportsbooks:
- Football - NFL, NCAA, CFL
- Basketball - NBA, NCAA, WNBA, International Leagues
- Soccer - English Premier League, MLS, International Leagues
- Baseball - MLB + International Leagues
- Hockey - NHL + International Leagues
- Golf - PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, International Leagues
- Tennis - All Major U.S. Tournaments + International Matches
- Other Sports - UFC/MMA, Motor Sports, Boxing, Cricket, etc.
How to Read Odds
Odds represent the likelihood of an outcome occurring. In sports betting, each team is assigned odds that represent the likelihood of them winning the game. American odds are what you will see displayed on every U.S. sportsbook and sports betting app.
The first thing you will notice when reading odds will be that:
- Odds have either a plus or minus in front of them.
- Odds are in terms of 100.
Betting Odds are written in terms of 100 as an industry standard. The easiest way to think of the plus and minus signs is as follows. If it is a plus, you will receive more than a $100 payout on a $100 bet. If it is a minus, you will have to bet more than $100 to win a $100 payout.
Thankfully, you can view your potential winnings on each bet before placing it at an online sportsbook. That said, it is beneficial to understand the betting odds.
Keep in mind for both spreads and totals that if the game ends in a draw for the bet, you get your stake back but do not win or lose any additional money.
What is a Moneyline bet?
A moneyline bet is a wager on which team will win the game outright. Both the favorite and the underdog are given odds to win the game. View example bet slip.
|Moneyline Odds||How to Read it||What it Means|
|Lions +130||Lions plus 130||By betting $100 you will win $130 if the Lions win|
|Packers -150||Packers minus 150||To win $100, you must wager $150 on the Packers to win|
What is a Spread bet?
A spread bet is a wager on which team will cover the spread or point spread. Underdogs will be given additional points with the spread, while the favorite will have to win by a certain amount of points to cover the spread. View example bet slip.
|Spread Odds||How to Read it||What it Means|
|Lakers + 5 (-110)||Lakers plus 5 points at minus 110 odds||The Lakers must win the game, or lose by less than 5 for you to win your bet|
|Rockets -5 (-110)||Rockets minus 5 points at minus 110 odds||The Rockets must win the game by more than 5 points for you to win your bet. A tie is a push, meaning you don't win or lose.|
What is an Over/Under (Total) bet?
An over/under bet focuses on how many points are scored, regardless of who wins the game. After a total point score has been set, bettors can wager whether the game's actual score will be over or under the preset point score. View example bet slip.
|Total Odds||How to Read it|
|Over 7 (-115)||In order to win $100, you must bet $115 on the overall combined run score to be higher than 7|
|Under 7 (-110)||In order to win $100, you must wager $110 on the total combined run score to be less than 7|
More of a visual person? Here's a YouTube video covering moneyline, spread, and total bets.
What is a Parlay bet?
A parlay bet is a group of bets, typically spread, moneyline, or total bets, combined into one bet to increase the payout odds. For the parlay to win, each separate bet has to win. View example bet slip.
What is a Future bet?
A futures bet is a bet on an event that takes place in days, weeks, or months. The most common future bets are placed on what team will win the finals before the season starts. View example bet slip.
What are Bonus Rollover Requirements?
Rollover requirements are requirements bettors MUST fulfill before they can withdraw the bonus money. Each type of bonus has different terms and conditions, which you should examine before accepting.
Rollover requirements for sports betting often range between 1X-10X, with some extreme requirements going all the way up to 15X. For example, let’s say you deposit $100 and receive a $50 bonus with a 5X rollover. Before you can withdraw the $50 in bonus funds, you have to wager $750 (($100 + $50)x5). Clearly, the $50 bonus is a lot harder to obtain if you don’t bet frequently.
This table gives you an idea of how much you will have to wager before withdrawing your bonus at multiple rollover rates. We will assume each deposit made is $100.
|Bonus Percentage ($100 Deposit)||Bonus Amount||Bonus Withdrawal with 1X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 3X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 5X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 10X Rollover|
|25% Deposit Match||$25||(100+25)x1 = $125||(100+25)x3 = $375||(100+25)x5 = $625||(100+25)x10 = $1,250|
|50% Deposit Match||$50||(100+50)x1 = $150||(100+50)x3 = $450||(100+50)x5 = $750||(100+50)x10 = $1,500|
|100% Deposit Match||$100||(100+100)x1 = $200||(100+100)x3 = $600||(100+100)x5 = $1,000||(100+100)x10 = $2,000|
Is Sports Betting Legal in TN (Tennessee)?
Sports betting is legal in Tennessee; however, it is only legal online. Sports betting in brick-and-mortar casinos is not permitted. The first legal sports bet in Tennessee took place on November 1, 2020.
Governor Bill Lee allowed House Bill 1 to become law in 2019, although he did not support the legalization of sports betting. House Bill 1, introduced by Rick Staples, legalized sports betting online in the Volunteer State. Residents can bet from their phones or computers as long as they are within state lines.
Are there any prohibited sports or bets in Tennessee?
Residents of Tennessee cannot live bet on college football or college basketball. For example, you can bet on the Tennessee volunteers, but not after the game starts. Also, college player props are not available. For example, you can bet on how many touchdowns Ryan Tannehill (Tennessee Titans quarterback); however, you cannot bet on how many touchdowns Jarrett Guarantano or Harrison Bailey (Tennessee Volunteers quarterbacks) will throw.
How old do you have to be to bet on sports in Tennessee?
Anybody who is 21 years or older can bet on sports in Tennessee. As long as you are 21 and within state lines, you do not have to be a Tennessee resident to bet on sports.
If you live in Tennessee and travel to a state that does not have legal betting, you will not be able to bet. Your phone or laptop uses geo-technology to make sure you are within state lines. The only people prohibited from betting on sports include athletes, coaches, refs, and other related personnel.
Do you have to pay taxes on sports betting in TN?
According to the IRS, “Gambling winnings are fully taxable, and you must report the income on your tax return.” Form W-2G is used to report gambling winnings and gambling losses, which may be deduced if adequately itemized.
For online gambling winnings, residents must send in Form W-2G when certain winning thresholds are reached. For example, if a player wins more than $600 or at least 300 times the wager amount, the form must be filled out.
Is it legal to bet on horse racing in Tennessee?
It is legal to bet on horse racing in Tennessee. Residents can bet with legal online providers such as TVG, BetAmerica, and TwinSpires. You can not bet on horses from Tennessee sportsbooks.
Does Tennessee offer an online lottery?
No, Tennessee does not currently offer any way to purchase lottery tickets or play lottery-style games online.
Is DraftKings sportsbook legal in Tennessee?
DraftKings is a safe and legal sports betting option for residents of Tennessee. DraftKings obtained its license by paying a $750,000 fee, which allows them to operate in Tennessee for one year.
Is FanDuel sportsbook legal in Tennessee?
FanDuel is a safe and legal sports betting option for residents of Tennessee. FanDuel obtained its license by paying a $750,000 fee, which allows them to operate in Tennessee for one year.
Is Bovada legal in Tennessee?
Bovada, BetOnline, and MyBookie are considered offshore sportsbooks and are illegal. These sportsbooks are not approved by the Tennessee Lottery, which regulates all legal Tennessee sportsbooks.
For the first BettingBuck.com annual best online sportsbooks review a total of 2,300 data points were collected over six months and used to score 18 sportsbooks.
Sports betting sites were scored across seven core categories to compute an overall rating: sports and bets offered, odds, live betting, mobile apps, educational resources, ease of use, and bonuses and promotions.
Additionally, odds data was collected on over 1,400 bets to give each sportsbook a comparative odds ranking. We collected odds for spread, moneyline, and total bets for over 75 NFL games, 75 MLB games, 75 NBA games, 75 NHL games, 75 Soccer games (various leagues), 75 NCAA Football games, and 75 NCAA Basketball games. When collecting odds, we made sure to collect the same games at the same time for each sportsbook, ensuring data accuracy.
Learn more about how we test.